Keeping with our “20-Themed” blogs, we chose to highlight 20 of our San Diego favorites. Between a world famous zoo, miles of coastal beauty and the rich cultural history here in San Diego, what’s not to love?
1. Beaches: The beaches of San Diego are arguably the best part about living in this great city. Whether you are a surfer hoping to catch some waves at Trestles , a leisurely beachgoer enjoying the scenery at Beech Street in Carlsbad, or a dog owner looking to soak up the sun and waves with your pooch at Dog Beach in Del Mar, San Diego has a beach for everyone.
2. Weather: The term “75 and sunny” is heard all too often here in San Diego. With the average temperature 74° during the summer months and often staying up there deep into the winter months, we absolutely love the weather here in San Diego.
3. Healthy Living: The dedication to healthy and sustainable living is seen throughout San Diego, from Farmers Markets (there are multiple every day of the week throughout San Diego county) to an emphasis on exercise and outdoor activities, this city is full of resources to promote healthy lifestyles.
4. Rich Military History: San Diego has been home to many US military bases. Aside from the Naval Base, Marine Corps Air Station at Miramar and Camp Pendleton, The USS Midway has been transformed into an amazing museum full of military history. The well known Miramar Air show is a 3 day event held every year and is one of the largest military air shows available to the public.
5. Shopping: The shopping opportunities in San Diego are endless, whether you are looking for small boutiques to find one of a kind pieces, or large department stores San Diego has it all.
6. Gaslamp Quarter: Gaslamp Quarter is the historical heart of San Diego. Located downtown, Gaslamp is well known for its nightlife scene and is full of endless restaurants and bars that are sure to please every palate.
7. La Jolla: Just north of downtown sits the quaint beach town of La Jolla. La Jolla is home to some of the most gorgeous coastline in all of San Diego offering kayaking, paddle boarding , snorkeling and more! For the theater lover The La Jolla Playhouse, founded in 1947, offers amazing plays and musicals.
8. Old Town: Old Town is known as the “Birthplace of San Diego”. As the location of the first settlers, Old town is full of San Diego history. Filled with shops and restaurants, Old Town is the perfect place to stop for authentic Mexican food and a margarita on a hot summer day.
9. Sea World: Spread over 22 acres along Mission Bay, SeaWorld is a premier tourist stop in San Diego. Filled with amazing animals, (who doesn’t love Shamu?) and fun attractions, SeaWorld is a must see destination in San Diego.
10. San Diego Zoo: The World Famous San Diego Zoo is home to 4,000 animals of more than 800 species . The exhibits at the San Diego zoo mimic the animal’s natural habitats promoting natural behavior of the animals and allowing visitors to understand how the animals live in the wild.
11. Safari Park: San Diego animal adventures don’t simply stop with the zoo, the San Diego Safari Park offers visitors a chance to see animals in wide open enclosures. From Giraffes to rhinos, a trip to the San Diego Safari Park will make you feel as though you have experienced a real African Safari.
12. Del Mar: Del Mar, most notably known for the Del Mar Racetrack which hosts American Thoroughbred horse races every summer, is a great gem of San Diego. The beachfront restaurants and hotels make this small beach town a great place for a weekend getaway or summer vacation spot.
13. Legoland: Built in 1999, Legoland has become a family favorite destination of San Diego. Along with the traditional attractions Legoland offers a Lego–themed water park, perfect for those hot summer days!
14. North County: North County San Diego is full of quaint and cozy beach towns. From Oceanside to Carlsbad, Encinitas and beyond, a trip to North County is a perfect way to experience a different side of San Diego.
15. Golf Courses: Golf enthusiasts far and wide travel to San Diego for the many amazing golf courses. With over 80 golf courses, there is a course for everyone. Whether you are planning on going pro or just learning, San Diego has the golf course for you!
16. Balboa Park: Built in 1915 for the Panama-California Exposition Balboa Park has grown into a 1,200 acre park filled with 15 museums, multiple theaters and gorgeous landscape. Balboa Park is a must-see destination in San Diego.
17. Craft Breweries: San Diego has become a growing and thriving community for craft and microbreweries. From the well known Karl Strauss and Stone Brewery to the smaller Alesmith and Ballast Point Brewing Company, San Diego is full of breweries for all sorts of beer enthusiasts!
18. Temecula: Located in the north-east region of San Diego, Temecula is home to 35 wineries and 9 great golf courses. Sitting equally distant from Los Angeles and Orange County, Temecula is the ideal place for a relaxing weekend getaway!
19. Fabulous Hotel Properties: With hundreds of hotel properties located throughout San Diego there is sure to be a hotel for everyone. Whether you’re looking for a beachfront hotel, a downtown high-rise, or a secluded mountain cabin, San Diego has it all!
20. Convention Center: Set in the Marina District of Downtown San Diego the Convention Center offers over 600,000 square feet of convention space. Home to the famous Comic-Con convention, the San Diego convention center hosts some of the city’s largest conventions and events each year.
The list goes on and on! What do YOU love about San Diego?