Summer is back in San Diego like it never left! We are so excited to say goodbye to the June gloom and hello to long days and sunny skies. Need some suggestions on how to enjoy your San Diego Summer? We are happy to help! Here are 20 Ways to Celebrate Summer 2013 in San Diego:
1. June 21st – Annual DSDP Golf Tournament @ Coronado Municipal Golf Course
This event always sells out, and is a must attend or play event for members and guests who like to challenge 18 holes shoulder-to-shoulder with San Diego’s best business leaders and prominent political figures. This year the event takes place on the first day of summer!
2. June 22nd – Little Italy Mercato
Enjoy Little Italy’s Farmer’s Market every Saturday from 9am to 1:30pm.
3. June 22nd – 8th Annual Loews Coronado Bay Resort Surf Dog Competition
Dozens of dogs take to the waves at Imperial Beach to compete in small dog, large dog and tandem surfing heats.
4. June 22-23 – Annual La Jolla Festival of the Arts
Held on the University of California, San Diego campus in La Jolla, the event includes award-winning artists, gourmet cuisine, contemporary music and entertainment.
5. July 4th – Fourth of July Celebrations
Fireworks, festivals and patriotic parades are held in numerous communities throughout San Diego County. Coronado’s popular Independence Day celebration features a two-hour parade followed by a family concert in Spreckels Park. The Port of San Diego celebrates with its Big Bay Boom fireworks extravaganza over San Diego Bay, the largest fireworks display in the county.
6. July 12-14 – Festival of the Bells
The festival celebrates the anniversary of the founding of Mission San Diego de Alcala, the first mission in California.
7. July 12-14 – San Diego LGBT Pride Parade, Rally and Festival
One of the city’s largest grassroots organizations, San Diego LGBT Pride sponsors a weekend of festivities including a headlining parade through Hillcrest and two-day festival in Balboa Park.
8. Jul. 13-14 & 20-21 – 60th Annual World Championship Over-the-Line Tournament
A San Diego original, this boisterous, fast-paced beach softball event is played at Fiesta Island on Mission Bay.
9. July 17 – September 4 – Del Mar Racing
Horses and fans alike meet for live thoroughbred racing, held five days a week at the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club in oceanfront Del Mar. Don’t forget your hat on Opening Day!!
10. July 18-21 – Comic-Con International
The largest comics and pop culture event in the United States attracts thousands of artists, celebrities and fans of comic books, movie memorabilia and all things related to pop culture to the San Diego Convention Center in downtown San Diego.
11. July – August – SummerFest 2013
The La Jolla Music Society presents classical and new compositions with renowned artists and ensembles from around the world, held at various locations in La Jolla and San Diego.
12. August 9-11 – Julian Star Fest
Guests can explore the world of astronomy during this four-day festival, the second biggest in California, with exhibition areas, guest speakers, an astronomy equipment swap meet and more, held at Menghini Winery in the San Diego East County town of Julian.
13. August 11th – Hillcrest Cityfest 2013
Arts, crafts, food and entertainment are featured at this popular annual street festival, held along Fifth Avenue in the eclectic neighborhood of Hillcrest.
14. August 17-18 – 37th Annual World Body Surfing Championships
International and U.S. body surfers compete at the Oceanside Pier and Beach in San Diego’s North County.
15. August 30 – September – U.S. Sand Sculpting Challenge and 3D Art Exposition
Guests can watch over 300 tons of sand be carved and molded into beautiful sculptures. Held at the B Street Cruise Ship Terminal alongside San Diego Bay, the summer event will feature live entertainment, food trucks and unique rides for kids including a zipline that flies over the show.
16. September – December – San Diego Chargers Season
The San Diego Chargers “bolt” into action during home games at Qualcomm Stadium in Mission Valley, while fans gather in the parking lot for tailgate parties before catching the excitement inside the stadium.
17. September 6 – Padres Beerfest 2013
Get to the ballpark early to enjoy tastings from some of your favorite breweries and live music before the game. First pour is at 5:00 pm in the Park at the Park.
18. September 8 – La Jolla Rough Water Swim
The largest rough-water swimming competition in the U.S. takes place at picturesque La Jolla Cove in La Jolla.
19. September 13-15 – San Diego Bayfair
This thrilling event features thunderboat racing, tunnel hulls, drag boats, hydroplanes, fireworks and concerts, as well as specialty vendors and food, along and on the waters of Mission Bay.
20. September 20 – 19th Annual San Diego Festival of Beer
What better way to end the summer than by sampling beer from more than 75 San Diego breweries? Each brewery provides samples and tastings alongside live musical performances, vendors and food booths in downtown San Diego.